Kids are almost left with no options than to carry heavy school bags to school these days for a number of reasons. It has been observed by pediatricians that such a thing automatically leads to strained backs and necks in growing children. It is not any more uncommon to find students especially in middle schools carrying huge bags weighing up to 30 pounds on their backs on a regular basis! Just imagine. Each year millions of students carry heavy bags with their shoulders drawn down with the weight. Despite all the progress in technology and science, the modern system of education could not come out with any other option where a students does not have to carry such heavy bags. It is not surprising then that children complain of back pain, neck sprains etc.
Sometimes it’s difficult for parents to understand why children are complaining about their health, especially because they are at a growing phase. This has become a pressing issue as most children find it difficult to carry such heavy bags and are often not strong enough. Parents should work out alternative solutions if the child is complaining of pain. Therefore, buying the right kind o bag is paramount.
Factors to keep in mind when buying a school bag:
1. Parents should opt for a good quality bag that would give their child the required comfort, so that he can carry all his books properly without feeling pain. A good quality backpack is structured so that all the books and other stationary items can be properly arranged within the sections and the load equally distributed along the strong muscles of the back and shoulders. It is of utmost importance to adjust the shoulder straps in a manner that it doesn’t hurt the body. Improper adjustments could lead to severe back pain. Also, if a child puts his bag on any kind of surface. this might spoil the bag and lead to a lot of wear and tear. To protect the bag from such wear and tear, the material is is constructed of is very important. Generally nylon and canvas are the best materials. If you search for online school bags, you will find that very few promise to give you the right kind of quality material.
2. Parents should consider children’s views in the decision while choosing the right kind of bag: they should also take into consideration the price, going for a cheaper one; often the durability factor gets compromised. Hence the bag should be such that its lasts for at least one whole academic year. A variety of bags are available online these days, for example, genius school bags, that meet up to the expectation.
3. An appropriate school bag should be made of a firm material: the right kind of material is very important for the longevity of the bag to protect them from sagging. Also extra load can be properly adjusted and strain lessened to a large extent if the material is that of the highest quality. A bag that can be adjusted also helps the child to wear it in a more comfortable way having the right kind of fit. There are many schools that make backpacks a part of the school uniform, so there may be regulations regarding its color, designs, size, etc. In such situations, it is better to speak with the school administration before you purchase any bag. Also, ordering bags online is not a good idea as that would not have the correct specifications. Placing an advance order is the right way to go about it.
4. Design and color: children often have their own ideas about their school bags. Sometimes, more than anything else, what their peers have to say matters the most. Such situations often occur when bags are a symbol of style for friends. Some children love cartoon characters like Ben10, Batman, Spiderman, Barbie, Aladdin, etc. on their bags. So, while buying bags, parents should take this into consideration.
5. Bags should have straps: when choosing backpack accessories, it is important to make sure that the bag has strong straps and is padded well so that it can be easily carried. The child should feel comfortable and the weight inside the bag should be evenly distributed.
One of the reasons why students need to carry such huge bags today is that more and more new schools are being built without proper lockers. The lack of enough lockers leads to students carrying the whole days worth of school text books to class.
Effect of heavy bags on student’s health is definitely worrying. For a parent it is very important to know the consequences of their child carrying such a heavy bag and look for a possible solution.
About the Author: Rohit Pandey. works for Genius Leathercraft Pvt. Ltd. as a professional Digital Media Adviser. You can find more of his articles on the Genius Blog.