It is important as a parent or caregiver to become just as savvy as your child or teenager when it comes to the Internet. Learn everything that you can about the web. Ask your child to show you all the cool places they like to visit . The important thing to remember is to keep the lines of communication open so your child or teen will feel comfortable telling you if they encounter a problem. Keep in mind that your response will dictate whether they confide in you the next time a problem arises.
Parents should also be aware of filtering programs that block out offensive or undesirable sites. Some even prevent users from entering certain types of information such as names and addresses. Many even restrict their ability to enter chat rooms or send or read “email.”
On the topic of email, KidsGoals.com gives a HUGE thumbs up to KidsEmail The mission of KidsEmail is to provide Safe Email for Kids- “We want to help protect children from predators, pornography, and questionable emai.” We at KidsGoals believe that is an extemely worthwhile mission and the beauty is, you can try it for thirty days for FREE without a credit card!!!
Some of the Great features of KidsEmail
Parental Controls and Options – Several options are available to keep your child safe:
- Allow child to only receive email from those in their contact list
- Email a copy of incoming messages to the parent
- Remove images within emails
- Remove links within emails
- Only allow specific attachment types such as: images, pictures, video, mp3s, zip, pdf, Word, Excel, Power Point, etc.
- Allow a parent to approve or deny any email sent to your children via the mail queue
- Only allow children to send email to those in their contact list
- Email a copy of outgoing messages to the parent
- Filter out offensive words found in incoming emails
- Spam filtering
- Several kids templates to choose from!
- A simple mode for young children as well as an advance mode for slightly older kids
Other awesome features are a Mail Monitoring setting, so you can see what kind of email your child is receiving as well as sending out
Time Restriction so you have TOTAL control of when your child logs in – It will even display a custom written message from you if they try to log in when they are not supposed to such as when they are grounded and prohibited from using the computer.
A Mail Queue that allows the parent to intercept any email that fails the “safety rules” that you set up for your child.
So check out KidsEmail and sign up for the 30 day free trial and “protect your kids while still giving them their freedom” After all, you can’t be monitoring them 24/7 and just think, before you know it school will be out for the summer! Your kids are going to have a lot of free time on their hands – need I say more