Helping your child be a successful problem-solver
Life is full of ups and downs! How can we help our children deal with these successfully? As parents, we are responsible for all the major decisions that affect our children’s health and welfare throughout their childhood.
However, there are many areas where we can let our children learn to make their own decisions, and practice problem-solving in a safe environment.
* Allow your child to make age-appropriate decisions
* Talk through with your child how you make decisions that affect him, and show that you value his input even if you have to choose an option he doesn’t like
* Brainstorm with your child solutions to his every day problems rather than just telling him what to do – see if you can steer him to thinking up solutions himself.
* Let your child make choices that might endanger him
* Overreact when your child makes a mistake or a poor choice. This is part of the learning process after all!
With your guidance, your child can learn the valuable skill of problem solving while he is still in the safe haven of your home – and will be better prepared for life’s bigger problems after he has flown the nest!